When to arrive (Sunday mornings)
If it’s your first visit then it’s probably best to turn up around 10:15am. (The service starts at 10:30am,so that gives you plenty of time to find your way in without feeling rushed!) If you are driving, you’ll be glad to know that there’s plenty of free parking at the back of our building. For directions please view the Map of Sandcross Church. You’ll be greeted on the door by our welcome team who will give you some information about the church and will help you to settle in.
The children stay in the main service for the first couple of songs, and then head out to Sand and Stars (our group for ages 0-11) which meets in the back hall straight after the kids’ song. (It’s pretty obvious which one that is!)
Please don’t feel uncomfortable if the younger ones are a bit boisterous – we know what children are like(!) If they are in a particularly energetic/unsettled mood, we have an overflow space at the back of church. Sometimes parents find it easier to sit in here with their children during the early part of the service – it’s a contained space with space to move around without disturbing anyone, and there are a few books/toys as well.
What to wear
Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. We are an informal church and accept people as they are.
What to expect
For some people going anywhere for the first time can be a bit nerve-racking. To help avoid any worries here’s a quick summary of what you can expect at Sandcross:
- First of all we aren’t super-spiritual beings, we all had a ‘first day’ at church, and you’ll find we are a friendly bunch – if you don’t understand something please simply ask.
- We start our meeting at 10.30am – the first half includes a mix of songs, prayers and Bible readings, and then a few minutes of notices to keep us informed of diary dates etc.
- Around 11am we then have a talk from the Bible that is relevant to our modern lives.
- We finish our meeting around 11:30am, with tea and coffee afterwards. Some services also include communion.
- Our aim is that you should be encouraged and inspired – whether you are discovering Jesus for the first time or have been a Christian for many years.