A printer friendly version of this page is available.
- Acorns is a parent-toddler group run by Sandcross Church every Wednesday in term-time.
- The session is from 09.45am until 11.15am.
- Acorns provides a place where parents/carers and young children have a chance to play and learn together.
- In the Bible God says that it is important for us to fix our thoughts on things that are good and true and right (Philippians 4:8) and that’s just what we try to do in Acorns!
What Happens in the Session?
When you arrive the hall is set up with a variety of toys and activities. There is a baby area with suitable toys for infants. There is plenty of space for buggies in the foyer. Once you have registered come in and help your child(ren) to join in the activities.
09.45am to 10.35am – Playtime
Adults and Children playing together and creative activities such as: sticking, drawing, finger painting, play-dough and lots more! During summer on fair-weather days we also have outside play in the garden.
Please supervise your child(ren) throughout the whole session; we are unable to provide supervised creche facilities.
10.35am-10.40am – Tidy up time
We put all the toys back in the boxes and put them to one side then get ready for snack time by sitting in a circle on the carpets. The adults sit behind their child(ren).
- The children are encouraged to sit on the carpets in a circle.
- We say ‘Grace’ to thank God for the food.
- The children are given small bowls and may choose fruit & plain snacks. The children are given a drink of juice or water.
- We encourage ‘please’ and ‘thank-you’!
Please supervise your child(ren) and encourage them to stay sitting on the rug during snack time.
You will be offered a drink too!
After snack time we hand out children’s musical instruments and start with some simple songs. The songs are fun with lots of actions. A different Bible story is chosen each week and told to the children in a way they can understand. We use lots of props, pictures and sounds and everyone is encouraged to join in. We end with a prayer and a last song.
Please sit with your child and help them to enjoy this time. The foyer is available for those children who may not be ready to sit or if they are particularly restless – you should still be able to see and hear what is going on.
11.15am – Goodbye
You are welcome to chat with the Acorns team. Please don’t forget to take any art-work home with you.
To Help You
- Changing facilities – are available in the large parent/child toilet room located in the foyer. There is a changing station with a mat, a nappy bin and a trainer toilet seat.
- Toilets – are also located in the foyer and there are more available at the front of the church. Please ask someone to show you where to go.
- Illness – If your child is unwell please keep them at home. Please allow 48hrs if your child has had vomiting and/or diarrhoea before bringing them to Acorns. There are First Aiders on-site in case of medical emergency.
We hope you will really enjoy your time with us.